I m Mortal

My rants & experiences while coping with my life, college, work , an autoimmune disease called Dermatomyositis & an eye disorder called Optic Nerve Atrophy

Wednesday, January 02, 2013

The year that was

I was planning to write something before the year end. But as luck would have it was super busy. Not with work or myositis. But with family. My niece is here, that means that no time to spend on my computer. Since nursery rhymes and kid songs rule the roost !

I was able to follow some reading stuff over my android mobile / tablet. But its not fun typing a blog post from there. This year was an experience that I won't forget for a long time.

To give a gist, started of the year on a high. I was leading a team on one of the important and successful projects and got good appreciation from colleagues over one of the project achievements. I had completed exactly an year then. Working 10-12 hours & traveling 2-3 hours daily, 5 days a week. Weekends were spent hanging out with friends, going on road trips, traveling some more. This followed till May. Life was good professionally and personally. For once, there was a settled feeling and then .. DM was back.

I had a relapse after a very long time. I mean I was on meds all this time but the situation wasn't bad. In fact, before May I hadn't felt better in my life. I could walk for miles without getting tired. I don't know if any DM patient could harp about that to anyone ! Anyhow things started with extreme fatigue and slowly progressed to muscle weakness, muscle pain. By August, it was too much and had to quit my job in September. Felt weird sitting at home, was not used to it.

Since then, things have changed a bit. The muscle pain is almost gone. There was muscle wasting and maybe that combined with calcinosis is causing some muscle pain/stiffness coupled with cold weather currently. But I am in a much better position. So much so that my doctor gave me the green signal to rejoin work. So have found a hopefully suitable work place near home. Its about 15 mins drive from home. 

I am really tired today and maybe I am thinking very straight. But would have loved to dwell on lessons learned this year. Since there were quite a few.

I was able to think over things a lot these past few months. Years back, I had promised myself I would enjoy little things in life. I always followed that principle and it helps a lot to keep things in perspective. I am happy that even after this minor setback of the relapse it is firmly implanted in my head ! So would like to say a prayer of Thanks to God. I have become a lot more spiritual since last 2 months. Thought a lot about meditation and yoga. Although I don't practice it quite often. Would love to spend more time when I start working. I wish there was a real quite place that I can go to near my home. I find city life too chaotic for meditation / spiritual endeavors.

New year resolutions ... well lots of them. But don't want to jinx 'em. Although I feel that new year resolutions are meant to be broken :) As long as they are harmless.

Ciao n Peace. Happy New Year !

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home